What does " FSH was 4.2" indicate?

Mar 2013
Hi I am 38 and want a baby. I have had all hormone tests done and Consultant is very happy he says for my age I have good quality eggs and many of them. On Day 2 of cycle FSH was 4.2. Do you see I will be able to conceive naturally and if I have good egg quality does this mean I ovulate.
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Can you please upload all the tests that have been done so far, and also the ultrasound scan results ? That would help me to opine better. In generally, a good ovarian reserve indicates a good functional capacity to ovulate. Fertility depends on a lot of other factors too. Firstly the semen analysis of the husband. Also, your ovulation capacity. Next, the patency of your fallopian tubes, which can be assessed by a laparoscopy. Please write back after uploading the workup which has been done so far, so that I can suggest further investigative and treatment strategies for you. All the best. Take care.
Follow-up: What does " FSH was 4.2" indicate? 1 hour later
I have attached ultrasound scan, all tests reveal that I do not have polycystic ovaries. Husband semen is fine
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: AS BELOW Detailed Answer: Am not able to view the attached scan. Please do check.
Follow-up: What does " FSH was 4.2" indicate? 5 hours later
My Ultrasound scan says The uterus appears normal in size and echotexture with an endometrial thickness of 6.4mm LMP - day 27 The right ovary has a volume of 10cc and the left ovary 11cc. Both ovaries contain numerous small follicles. PCO cannot be excluded.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 20 hours later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hi It is still not visible on the dashboard. You can mail it to - YYYY@YYYY ALso, the ultrasound report is quite normal. However, fertility depends on a lot of other factors as I specified. If your partner's semen analysis is normal, then a few more things remain to be done - 1. Firstly go for a cycle of follicular monitoring - tracking the growth of the egg follicle by serial ultrasound scan, that will show if you are ovulating. 2. If ovulation is present, go for laparoscopy to check if the fallopian tubes are open. If ovulation is problematic, then go for ovulation induction with clomiphene citrate to try for conception. If tubes are blocked, then go for IVF. Take care.