What does "Extensive subcutaneous edema which is nonspecific" mean?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello, I'm a 58 year old male. I started haveing pain and swelling in my left knee about 2 weeks ago. The pain got worse as time went on and the swelling ingolfed the whole frount side of my knee. My doctor had me get an MRI of my Knee 2-21-14. I picked up the report yesterdey 2-24-14, I see the doctor 2-26-14. I'm a little concerned of the findings of the report: FINDINGS--- There is extensive subcutaneous edema overlaying the anterior, medial, andlateral aspects of the knee and proximal tibia. A large bursal effusion is seen anterior to the patellar tendon consistent with infrapatellar bursitis. IMPRESSION: Extensive subcutaneous edema which is nonspecific. Cellulitis cannot be excluded. there is also a infrapatellar bursal effusion. Consider diagnostic aspiration to exclude infection. There is no significant internal derangement.
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: Many treatment options are there. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your query. Your MRI scan suggested -Extensive subcutaneous edema which is nonspecific. Cellulitis cannot be excluded. There is also a infrapatellar bursal effusion. Consider diagnostic aspiration to exclude infection. There is no significant internal derangement. First of all my friend I want to clear you about bursa - A bursa is a fluid-filled structure that is present between the skin and tendon or tendon and bone. The main function of a bursa is to reduce friction between adjacent moving structures. Bursae around the knee can be classified as those around the patella and those that occur elsewhere. Bursitis occurs due to Acute trauma, Recurrent minor injury, Diabetes if uncontrolled, Infection, Co-existing inflammatory disease You doctor may suggest you knee aspiration because it is important to differentiate septic and non-septic bursitis. If infection is suspected, fluid should be aspirated under aseptic conditions by an experienced physician and sent for culture. Aspirate should be examined for: White cell count, Protein, Lactate, Glucose, Culture, Monosodium urate crystals etc. Your doctor may advise you- -Rest. -Ice therapy. -Education about the condition and its aetiology. -A thick foam cushion, or knee pads, to kneel on, can help prevent recurrence. -Occupational therapy. -Physiotherapy referral may be helpful if there is reduced range of movement in the knee joint. A stick or cane may be needed to aid walking. -Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), eg ibuprofen as these can be used for mild-to-moderate pain and to reduce inflammation. -Antibiotic therapy. -Incision and drainage. You should try to avoid prolonged and repetitive kneeling. Use knee pads in certain occupations which require kneeling. I hope it helps. If you are satisfied, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer 5 points for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: WWW.WWWW.WW Thanks. Dr.Singh.