What does Early Diastolic notch in scan report suggest ?

hi my wife is 22 week 5 days pregnant. In her anamoly scan report (done 2 days back) the development of fetus is absolutely normal. But one of the summary indicates 'high resistance flow with early diastolic notch in left uterine artery' and right artery is NORMAL. 2 weeks back her BP readings were normal 120/80.
I have following queries:
1. Can you please suggest the precautions we need to take to ensure notching is resolved.
2. What can be done to ensure a full-term healthy pregnancy?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Thanks for your query

'Early Diastolic notch' signifies the relationship between the placenta and blood vessels and muscles of uterus and 'high resistance flow' indicates that there are chances of blood pressure being increased as pregnancy progresses.

The notch usually disappears after 23 weeks. As the baby growth is normal right now there is nothing to worry. But persistence of the notch later can cause high Blood Pressure, restricted growth, chances of early delivery and C section.

It can be normally treated with medication if required. There is no alarm at this stage as such but keep a regular check of your wife's Blood Pressure at intervals.

Keep a watch of symptoms such as limb swelling and keep a track of baby's growth.

Some tips to prevent high Blood Pressure:

1. Reduce the salt intake.
2. Drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water.
3. Elevate the feet(with pillows on bed) several times during the day for few minutes.
4. Take proper rest.
5. Go for a walk daily.
6. Restrict fat and caffeine in diet.

Most of the woman deliver a healthy baby even if the blood pressures are high with proper prenatal care.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available to answer your follow up query.