What does Cylindrical number of lenses mean and how is it different from spherical?

Hi My daughter is 7 years old. Recently I got her eye check up done . it read as Right eye S +2.25 C -6.0 A5 Left eye S +2.75 C -6.75 A165 can you please help me understand this . What is meaning of Cylindrical number, how is different from spherical
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: She is having hypermetropia with astigmatism. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health care magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. Your daughter is having refractive error. She is having hypermetropia with astigmatism. Cylindrical lenses are the lenses which are used to correct astigmatism. Cylindrical lenses are different from spherical lenses by the fact that they act only in one axis as indicated by 5 and 165 in your daughter's case. Astigmatism is also a type of refractive error and it is quiet common and is found in association with myopia or hypermetropia. Presence of minimal astigmatism is very common and need to be evaluated further. But since the astigmatism is high with -6 and -6.75 in each eye, this requires further examination to rule out few corneal diseases like keratoconus. Since the refractive error is high she needs to wear the glasses regularly and should attend follow up with eye doctor at least once in six months to look for any changes in the refractive error and change of glasses accordingly. Refractive error changes rapidly in children because of rapid increase in the dimensions of the eye ball. Hope I have answered your query and the information is helpful to you. Thank you