What does Charcot foot means that showed on MRI?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I recently had an MRI and the results were Charcot foot. What do you know about and what are my options?
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find the answer below. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Charcot foot is a condition affecting the bones, joints, and soft tissues of the foot and ankle, characterized by inflammation in the earliest phase. The Charcot foot occurs as a consequence of various peripheral neuropathies. The interaction of several factors (diabetes, sensory-motor neuropathy, autonomic neuropathy, trauma, and metabolic abnormalities of bone) results in an acute localized inflammatory condition that may lead to varying degrees and patterns of bone destruction, subluxation, dislocation, and deformity. The hallmark deformity associated with this condition is midfoot collapse, described as a “rocker-bottom” foot, although the condition appears in other joints and with other presentations. Pain or discomfort may be a feature of this disorder at the active (acute) stage, but the level of pain may be significantly diminished when compared with individuals with normal sensation and equivalent degrees of injury. The management of this condition includes - Most cases of acute Charcot foot can be treated nonsurgically with pressure-relieving methods such as total contact casting (TCC), which is believed to be the gold standard of treatment. - An alternative to TCC is a prefabricated pneumatic walking brace (PPWB), which has been found to decrease forefoot and midfoot plantar pressure in the treatment of neuropathic plantar ulceration. - After swelling and erythema resolve and radiographic stability has been achieved, the TCC is changed to either an ankle foot orthosis or a patellar tendon-bearing brace, depending on residual anterior edema. - Custom shoes :After the initial swelling has decreased and the bones begin to fuse back together, a specialized custom walking boot may be recommended. The specialized shoe is designed to decrease the risk of ulcers (sores that do not heal). - Bisphosphonates (anti resorptive medicines) may be of value to help heal the bones. - SURGICAL TREATMENT: Patients with a consolidated (stable chronic) Charcot foot with a residual exostosis or recurrent or nonhealing ulcer may require an exostosectomy. - In patients whose subluxation produces a markedly unstable extremity, a joint stabilization procedure performed by a foot and ankle specialist may be required. So, I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon specialized in foot and ankle problems for appropriate management of your condition, depending upon the stage of the disease. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards