Ask a Urologist   »  

What does Calcium oxalate crystals in urine with frequent urination indicate?

My age is 32 in my urine routine test Calcium oxalate crystals is present , and i am having frequent urination. Is there any problem ?
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: You need to undergo more investigations Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. The brief information provided is inadequate, but suggests certain possibilities, such as, kidney stones with associated urinary tract infection; or, a metabolic condition, particularly elevated uric acid levels (called hyperuricemia) in the blood. If you have ever had sudden pain and swelling of the great toe of either foot, or has family history of Gout, the diagnosis of gout would be very high on the cards. Hence, certain investigations, such as CBC, Urine culture (for isolating the causative bacteria, if any), an ultrasound of kidneys, ureters and urinary bladder; and, Blood Uric acid levels. Other tests required are, Blood sugar levels, Blood urea/Creatinine and Thyroid Function tests. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Take care, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal