What does "CA 125 elevated to 392" indicate?

I have been having heavy miserable periods for months and finally went to doctor in October. Did first ultrasound in November. They found cyst on my left ovary 6..6 x3.7 x 4.7, and a 1.2 x 1.5 1.5 endometrial polyp. They have me scheduled to remove polyp and I had another ultrasound on 12/20 showing the cyst has grown to 7.3 x 3.5 x 5.4 cm. They also called me the other day to advise I needed to get a second opinion from a gynecologist/oncologist and that my ca 125 was elevated to 392. Ultrasound says that further evaluation is needed to exclude ovarian neoplasm. What does all this mean? I am freaking out and don't see the new doctor for a week. I have the reports but am unable to upload them to you. My scanner at home does not work. If you need I can send them tomorrow.
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: MRI pelvis and whole abdomen with contrast Detailed Answer: hi, your doctor will do RMI (risk of malignancy index) calculation. you need to undergo whole abdomen and pelvis Contrast MRI. CA 125 is high. anything over 100 is suspicious but not diagnostic. your desire for future reproduction will determine your management. you need to do surgery( hysteroscopic polyp removal plus lap or open surgery for ovarian cyst) . an intraoperative frozen section can determine the complete treatment in one go or just ovarian cystectomy with peritoneal aspirated cytology to look for malignancy if any and further surgery if biopsy says malignancy.
Follow-up: What does "CA 125 elevated to 392" indicate? 25 minutes later
what is ovarian cystectomy with peritoneal aspirated cytology. 35 was my cut off for a second child. What would your suggestion be for me to have this taken care of?
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: It's ok to bear a child after 35 if you are fit Detailed Answer: my suggestion would be to do an intraoperative frozen section biopsy to get report which if benign just bilateral ovarian cystectomy plus hysteroscopic polypectomy. if its malignant then removal uterus both adnexa and others like pelvic lymph nodes and omentum depending upon the stage of disease .
Follow-up: What does "CA 125 elevated to 392" indicate? 10 minutes later
I have a myosure procedure planned for the 24th for the polyp if all else goes well. Have you done or heard of that procedure.
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 12 hours later
Brief Answer: New technique Detailed Answer: it's a new technique wherein polyps are cut and removed by suction at the same time. I am aware but have not used it myself. we as of now do hysteroscopic polypectomy. myosure is available at few centres