What does C5 -C6 PIVD in a cervical X Ray mean?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Cervical X Ray report mentions C5 -C6 PIVD? What does that mean and what is the way forward?
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Treatment goes in following lines. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Usually, the spinal cord and nerve roots are protected within the spinal canal. The spinal canal is guarded by the vertebrae which separated from one another by a cushion like intervertebral discs. With age, degenerative changes occur which leads to disc prolapse and spinal cord/nerve root compression. In your case disc prolapse is at level of C5-C6. These degenerative changes are not completely reversible but the further progression of these changes can be retarded with medical treatment and regular physiotherapy exercises. Usually the treatment goes in following lines: rest, lifestyle modifications (namely- avoiding pillow while sleeping, following a healthy diet plan, maintaining suitable posture while working on computer/driving, avoiding any activity that strikes neck discomfort), medications (that your physician prescribes) and most important physiotherapy ( in form of neck exercises, cervical traction if required along with local ultrasonics). I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: What does C5 -C6 PIVD in a cervical X Ray mean? 29 minutes later
How effective is homeopathic treatment as it is claimed to have lasting cure for this disorder?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 12 hours later
Brief Answer: I have no idea about homeopathic therapy. Detailed Answer: Hi, Sorry, I have no idea about homeopathic therapy.