What does "Broncho vascular markings are prominent" mean in an Xray report?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
My three yr old son' x-ray report says: Broncho vascular markings are prominent. Small right sided peri hilar opacities are seen. What does this mean ?? How serious is this situation?? BTW he has a positive Mantoux test. (18 mm) along with the xray, my son had a ultrsound of whole abdomen also. Which says: Few small regular hypoechoic areas seen in para-aortic area of umbilical region & largest one measures 9X7 mm. No calcification or necrosis seen. IMPRESSION : Enlarged Lymph nodes
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later
Brief Answer: History suggestive of tuberculosis Detailed Answer: Hello, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX A positive Mantoux test is suggestive of tuberculosis. The X-ray showing prominent broncho-vascular markings is a normal finding. Presence of peri-hilar opacities can be due to calcified lymph nodes. This is a common finding on X-ray chest and it indicates healed sub-clinical tubercular infection. In developing countries like India, it is not uncommon to find calcified lymph nodes on X-ray chest due to healed sub-clinical tubercular infection. A raised CRP (C-reactive protein) on blood tests suggests a chronic infection. Tuberculosis is one of the chronic disease causing raised CRP. Presence of enlarged lymph nodes on abdominal ultrasound again suggests tuberculosis. There is strong suspicion of tuberculosis. You need to consult your physician for guided aspiration of the abdominal lymph nodes (though very difficult) or other relevant investigations to confirm or rule out tuberculosis. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal