What does Bera and OAE indicate?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Dear Sir, My child is 3 months old and we conducted a Bera test couple of days before. there was no wave formation at all. The audiologist mentioned have Bera along OAE on Friday. She said you can except the worst or there might not be problems at all. Could you please provide your advise
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Keep hopes alive Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing to health care magic. BERA has 80 percent sensitivity and 90 percent specificity. Absent waveforms indicate complete hearing loss or acoustic neuroma. It may be false positive in 10 to 20 percent cases. Usually BERA and OAE are done together to eliminate this uncertainty Their combined detection of hearing loss is more accurate. So keep your hopes positive and I pray that tests should come negative . Regards Dr Arun
Follow-up: What does Bera and OAE indicate? 1 hour later
hi Dr. XXXXXXX Thank you very much for your answer. I would also like to know if its complete hearing loss or acoustic neurome will there be any scope for treatment if so what are the treatments available. Will my son be able to live a normal life regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Arun 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Treatment options are available Detailed Answer: Hi If it's acoustic neuroma it can be treated surgically with neuroimaging guided . But before we jump into conclusions its better to wait for the bera plus oae report. Hearing aids are available for various levels of hearing loss. Do not worry. He can lead a normal life. Lets be positive . Let me know the report once done. Dr Arun