What does ALT 458,AST 267 and BUN/CREAT Ratio at 21.4, indicate?

Rheumatologist
Question
Hello I have been having blood work done recently and am concerned about some numbers. My DR cannot find the reason for the abnormal tests and is sending me to a specialist- 1st appointment was 2 months from now. Should I be more concerned? last test results are alt 458 ast 267 and a new test BUN/CREAT Ratio is high at 21.4
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: need more information Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query. I am Dr. Alok and very pleased to be assisting you with your health questions today. One must understand that lab investigaton with clinical pictures are nothing. So I would like to know-- 1. any fever?, how is appetite? 2. Any medical problem 3. are you on any medication at present? 4. any significant family history, you would like to tell 5. Are you taking excessive alcohol? I will be able to provide answers to your question only if I come to know about your overall medical history I wish you good health. Dr. Alok

Follow-up: What does ALT 458,AST 267 and BUN/CREAT Ratio at 21.4, indicate? 36 hours later
1. any fever?, how is appetite? No fever and no change in appetite 2. Any medical problem- MS- not relapsing at this time 3. are you on any medication at present? none 4. any significant family history, you would like to tell- nothing that would pertain 5. Are you taking excessive alcohol? No- never have

Brief Answer: viral hepatitis may be the cause Detailed Answer: Hi If You are not on any medication or not taking alcohol, it may be due to viral hepatitis or NAFLD (non alcoholic fatty liver disease). These can be rule out by ultrasound of abdomen and Antibody test of different hepatitis viruses. for these, you can discuss with your doctor. Some time it may be due to gall stone also, here ALP should also be raised. Hope this will help

Follow-up: What does ALT 458,AST 267 and BUN/CREAT Ratio at 21.4, indicate? 20 hours later
Hi- So I had an ultra sound and it came back unremarkable. Also did a hepatitis check and it was negative. DR also did an mri and it too showed nothing. Would these rule out non alcoholic fatty liver disease? I do not feel unwell, but I am stressing over these tests. Thanks for your help.

Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: chance of NAFLD IS HIGH Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your anxiety But if you are OK, and all other test are normal, than why worry??? Normally in NAFLD, ultrasound shows fatty liver, but still normal ultrasound cannot rule out it. My advice- if you are not obese, not diabetes, not blood pressure--- than there is no need to worry. we shouldnot care about rare causes, until unless they produce some problems But if you have any of above, than chance of NAFLD is high. MRI was not required Hope this will help

Follow-up: What does ALT 458,AST 267 and BUN/CREAT Ratio at 21.4, indicate? 3 days later
Good Point! Thanks

Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: welcome Detailed Answer: hi thanks and most welcome