What does ALP level of 121 and eosinophilia of 70 indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
My alp level is 121 And Eosinophilia is .70 is it ok Rest KFT AND LFT AND CBC IS ALL NORMAL
Posted Tue, 25 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Thanks for writing in to us. Glad to know that kidney function tests and complete blood count (CBC) are normal. Concerning ALP (Alkaline phosphatase) the normal values may differ with respect to the methods used in the laboratory. The normal upper limits may vary from 115 to 147. So having a value of 121 is acceptable and not something to worry. The eosinophil percentage is taken normal upto 4%. Eosinophil is high in those having allergy. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: What does ALP level of 121 and eosinophilia of 70 indicate? 27 hours later
Thank you so much doctor . I just want to reconfirm about the same. So 121 and eosinophil .70 is ok? Thank you Kind regards XXXX

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Welcome Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Thanks for writing back to us. Wishing you good health. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: What does ALP level of 121 and eosinophilia of 70 indicate? 31 minutes later
Doctor I'm sorry but u have not answered my question. Is it ok to have ALP 121 and Eosinophil .70? Thank you

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Clarification Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Thanks for your update. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I think we need to clarify the above result with reference to the units in which the values have been mentioned. 1. The ALP value of 121 is considered normal in some labs and slightly above normal by some labs. This difference is due to the machine used and the normal values in a machine are always mentioned in the report. However, please do not worry for the ALP value. 2. The eosinophil is a type of white blood cell which shows increase in number in allergies and presence of parasites. The eosinophil is measured in two ways. The relative eosinophil count which is expressed as a percentage of total white blood cells. This value is from 0% to 4% in normal adults. The absolute eosinophil count is given as number of eosinophils. The normal absolute vaule is 0-0.45 cells x 109/L usually. Therefore considering relative count your eopsinophil, a value of 0.70% is normal but if we take absolute count of 0.70 cells x 109/L then you have an increased eosinophil count which means the possibility of an allergic condition or parasites is to be investigated. If you desire, please attach a scanned copy of report for further clarification that you may have. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek