What does " 3 small sized nodular opacities on the upper third of the left lung were observed" mean?

Radiologist, Nuclear Medicine
Question
I've received an abnormal chest xray and am trying to interpret what some of it means. States that 3 small sized nodular opacities which could be compositional/vessel shadows on the upper third of the left lung were observed. The radiologists summary simply states : 3 most likely pseudonodular densities which should be further assessed by low dose CT. I am a smoker and therefore completely worried as I wait 2 months to get a CT scan. The original reason for the xray was because I had pneumonia - could this be related to the pneumonia? The information I am uncovering suggests mostly that multiple nodules, especially in the upper regions can be indicative of a metastatic cancer. Any thoughts?
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Lung Cancer

Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 4 hours later
Brief Answer: nature of the nodules to be studied further Detailed Answer: Your Chest XRay has shown small sized nodules which raises doubt of either benign or malignant Lung nodules, though neither CT scan nor any other test will give a concrete picture as regards the nature of nodules. As you are a smoker it is important to rule out possibility of metastatic cancer that is true. The next step if CT of Chest does not lead to diagnosis, may be to undergo PET-CT study that will be better way to assess the nature of nodules compared with CT scan. However, CT of chest costs much less compared to PET-CT and if CT of chest can lead to diagnosis it can be tried. with best wishes from Dr Chowhan

Follow-up: What does " 3 small sized nodular opacities on the upper third of the left lung were observed" mean? 11 hours later
Thanks for your reply, the one part of my original question that you did not address was whether the nodules could be part of the inflammation process due to the pneumonia.

Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Reply Detailed Answer: As slready replied I again reemphasize that yes nodules in lung may be dur to past inflammatory lung disease which may include pneumonia but mostly fungal pneumonia. But it's important to rule out possibility of maling lung nodul due to their life threatening consequence. Hope it I clear. Thankd from Dr Chowhan.

Follow-up: What does " 3 small sized nodular opacities on the upper third of the left lung were observed" mean? 2 hours later
Just to let you know, you hadn't already replied about it having anything to do with the pneumonia and your spelling is atrocious. I won't be asking you any further questions

Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 2 days later
Brief Answer: Reply Detailed Answer: At the outset let me say that I had to reply to your query using my Android based mobile device( while I was travelling)in which some typing error resulted and before I could edit the posting is done involuntarily. I want to also say that words can not be atrocious as you mentioned(when I am answering to your health query) so that is inappropriate word to use in this reply to my expert opinion. As already replied I again reemphasize that yes nodules in lung may be due to past inflammatory lung disease which may include pneumonia but mostly fungal pneumonia. But it's important to rule out possibility of malignant lung nodules due to their life threatening consequence. This can be better done with HRCT or if need by with PET-CT that is a superior technology to distinguish benign lung nodules from Malignant nodules. Hope it is pretty clear now that I have elaborated the reply. Thanks from Dr Chowhan.