What doctor should I consult for head spinning like vertigo while sleeping and doing exercises?

ENT Specialist
Question
When Im in bed turning from right to left my head starts spinning like a vertigo. This has been going on for two months on and off. It is better now but when I exercise I experience this too. What doctor do I need to see to figure out what the cause of this is and how to treat it?
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Labrynthine sedatives and adaptation exercises Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. You seem to be suffering from positional vertigo. The causes of vertigo can be many but most common for positional vertigo is the dislodgement of particles in the inner ear which are otherwise fixed. These particles move with positional change and cause the movement of fluid in the inner ear along with. This leads to stimulation of the balance pathway and results in vertigo. In acute condition, rest and labyrinthine sedatives should be used. When the acute vertigo settles usually in few days to weeks, adaptation exercises are recommended which help in tiding over the problem in long term. You need to see an ENT for that or if you want to do it yourself, these are available on net. Some particles repositioning maneuvers have been described like Epleys' but these need to be performed by the experts/doctors. Avoid shaky movements of head, trauma to head and sudden jerky movements of body. Till your vertigo is completely settled, please avoid driving, swimming and getting in to risky situations. Feel free to ask another query. Regards

Follow-up: What doctor should I consult for head spinning like vertigo while sleeping and doing exercises? 3 days later
What are some Labrynthine sedatives I should take?

Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Cinnarizine Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Cinnarizine is the most commonly used labyrinthine sedative and 25mg thrice daily or 75mg once daily should be used in consultation with your GP. Feel free to ask another query. Regards