Ask a Dentist   »  

What do you suggest the causes for large sore red spots on the roof of my mouth ?

I've had two large red spots on the roof of my mouth for about two months. They are sore and hurt when I eat hard food. I plan on making a dentist appointment on Tuesday but would like some advice on possible causes. Thanks!
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

From the description that you have given the most likely causes can be-
1. Oral thrush- fungal infection of mouth. Usually covers the whole palate and tongue and is recurrent.
2. Viral infection- usually caused by coxsackie virus. The area is painful and recurrence is common.
3.Oral cancer- Usually associate with swollen neck glands.

A careful examination is an integral part of diagnosis.
Till the time you XXXXXXX your dentist avoid smoking, use iodine mouth wash and listerine mouth wash to keep the area clean.
Avoid hot and spicy foods.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.