What do you suggest for transferrin saturation of iron being 60?

My 31 year old autistic son recently had blood tests done under sedation, his Transferrin Saturation of iron was 60, it is impossible for him to donate blood. Does this mean he has the overload disease and can we decrease this reading through diet alone? Should I be worried is this reading seriously high?
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Follow this diet... Detailed Answer: Hi, thank you for posting your query here. I read your query very carefully and I can help you. The overload level of iron is decreased by a correct diet. To my patient with overload iron level I recommend: - To eat fiber foods, like rice and cereals. - To eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, because the vitamin C that they contain decrease the iron level. - To use milk and its products, because it doesn't contain iron. - To reduce the amount of fish, meat and processed meat. - To eliminate dark, leafy greens like spinach and collards. - To eliminate egg yolk and beans. By following this diet the iron level will decrease. As for the iron level, you don't have to worry because this iron level is not high. Your son should contact a hematologist. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help. Regards. Dr. Behar.