What do you suggest for knee pain due to arthritis?

Hi I injured my left femoral tendon two years ago. I did not get an MRI but they did exray. They only saw the beginnings of arthritis. Now anytime I workout I have pain. I recently was at a wedding and was dancing. My left knee is in pain. The knee cap has a red hot spot. What is your advice
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 minutes later
Hello Frac.

Arthritic changes in the joints are age related changes and the changes progress faster if there is some injury due to the fibrosis.
In your case your knee is most probably having arthritic changes which have aggravated during the stress like dancing.
As the knee cap is a red hot spot it means either it is too much inflamed or it is infected. In both the cases a careful examination by an orthopaedician is needed to know the cause of infection or inflammation as the case may be.
Meanwhile try giving rest to your knee joint by not bearing weight on it and take a pain killer - acetaminophen or ibuprofen for pain relief.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.

Follow-up: What do you suggest for knee pain due to arthritis? 36 minutes later
I have heard that there is an arthritis shot that is helpful. It is not cortizone is that safe to use?I want to be able to workout like I did before without pain.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

The arthritis shot you have heard of is a steroid based shot to decrease the inflammation. It is safely given in those patients who do not show improvement with oral antiinflammatory agents.
In your case as long as acute pain is present you should give rest to your joint and do not even think of doing a work out right now. Let the inflammation subside first to avoid long term damage to your joint.

Sincerely hope it will help.

Wishing you an early recovery.