What do you suggest for chest pain with belching and gas?

my husband age 73 with type II diabetes has chest pains with lots of belching and gas..he takes a baby asprin every night and to relieve the gas takes gas x. at his recent annual check up he mentioned this to doc. doc said all his blood work was great...took an ekg which was normal and said not to worry about the gas...this only occurs in the middle of the night never during the day..should we go to the er the next time these symptoms occur?
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Probiotics,PPI &Prokinetic,life style modification Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for using HCM. I went through the query and understood your concern. With type 2 diabetes and normal blood work and ECG suggests that the belching and gas at middle of night is most probably due to variation in gastric acid secretion or variation in normal bacterial commensals in the gut. I too see a lot of diabetic patients with similar complaints and for them usually I suggest probiotics, yogurt, plenty of fluids and high fiber diet. The pain may be due to acid reflux and hence your husband requires a prokinetic drug with reduction in acid secretion with head end of the cot raised to 15 to 20 degree for sleeping. Drugs like pantoprazole / omeprazole (PPI) with domperidone can be tried to relieve the symptoms. Even if the above measures fails a course of antibiotic therapy with metronidazole may help you. Along with the above measures daily 30 min out door activity help in reducing the symptoms and also balancing the body rhythm and cut down the processed food, white bread, doughnuts, white sugar and pizza and have more of high fibre diet, green leafy vegetables, fruit. In short, I don't feel the symptoms at night are concerning. I would prefer that you start medicine regularly along with dietary changes. Perhaps he can prevent it completely. That being said, if symptoms are severe and untolerable, ER visit could be inevitable. Hope this information helps you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them. Regards
Follow-up: What do you suggest for chest pain with belching and gas? 10 hours later
does it matter if her has a few beers at night or wine and is very lean red meat ok in small portions. is brocolli ok. are high protein food ok as well as whole wheat bread.
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 22 hours later
Brief Answer: High protein diet is good Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for follow up query. If alcohol taken at 10gm per day is good for health. different brands contains varying concentration of alcohol in it, usually given in percentage, means 100ml contains so many grams of alcohol. so need to calculateamount of alcohol to be taken. Red meat, brocolli and high fiber diet are good for diabetic patients. Bread and toasted items are need to be avoided, as they rise blood sugar levels immediately. which is not good. Hope this information helps you. Feel free to ask further related query. i will be glade to answer them. Regards