What do you mean "Heterogenous liver echotexture c/w mild fatty infiltration" in an ultrasound report?

Hi, I recently had an ultrasound to check on something else and in the results this came back (below). My Dr didn't even mention it. I do have high cholesterol and take 10 mg of Lipitor which does the job perfectly (my levels are perfect). I also just had my routine blood test for liver function too which were also fine. I do drink in moderation and could prob exercise more. Could you give me any more insight to the below or should I worry? "Heterogenous liver echotexture c/w mild fatty infiltration." Thanks for your time.
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please see details Detailed Answer: Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM). Ultrasound suggest that you are fatty liver disease which in your case is due to drinks as your lipid profile is normal. However it's good that your liver functions tests are normal. But still you have to improve it since it is initial stage of alcohol liver disease and it may progress to hepatitis and then cirrhosis So what all you have to do is: 1. Avoid alcohol 2. Regular exercise at least 30 minutes per day 3. Take less fat in your diet 4. Calculate your BMI (body mass index) and if you are overweight or obese do reduce it by diet and exercise 5. Among medications take tablet ursodeoxycholic acid and vitamin E 6. Check you blood sugars and blood pressure if deranged then manage them also I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to answer that too. Remain in touch and get-well soon.