What do you advise for constant lower back pain?

4-5 years ago I fell down some steps and landed on my lower back on the edge of the step. I was very sore for around a fortinight and had limited movement but that all calmed down. However, my back is still very tender in the area of the knock - both for massage, or if I try to do situps or any floor work etc at the gym ( as the contact with the floor is painful ). I am also now experiencing lower back ache on a constant basis ( probably due to being sat down for most of the day for my job ) and am wondering whether I need to go back to get the original injury investigated? ( My doctor previously refused an x-ray about a 6 months after the injury saying it was just a bruise to the bone ). I am 41, female, and around 16 stone. Any advice?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later

If the same area of injury is painful even after five years then it might be a fresh injury or an age related degenerative problem like disc herniation or disc prolapse which is causing a nerve root compression resulting in the pain.

You need to have an MRI of your spine to know the nature and site of injury.

Please visit your orthopaedician to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case.

Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physiotherapist.
- Avoid exercises in times of pain.
- Improvise your posture while sitting.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Wish you good health. Advocate to daily exercises for a healthy spine.

Thank you.