What do white spots seen in the heart during an ultrasound indicate?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
I am 40 years old and pregnant with my second child. I just returned from my 20 week ultrasound appointment. They ( an ultrasound tech and the doctor) checked the baby over twice and everything with her looked fine except they identified a bright spot on her heart. The doctor did not seemed concerned really, but he put the baby's chances of Down's Syndrome at 1:43. He said that most of the time it turns out to be nothing. If it isn't usually a problem in most cases, why did the statistic chage so drastically? Also, if she was likely to have Down's, wouldn't other markers shown up too? My husband and I went ahead and had the cell free DNA blood test and should have more concrete answers next Friday, but until then-- can you tell me anything to help me understand the situation better?
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Wait for the results to be in... Detailed Answer: Hi, White spots seen in the heart during an ultrasound are considered normal findings and often related to echogenic focus, which turn to "nothing" at the end. On the other hand, studies have concluded the link between the white spots and Down's syndrome; thus, further tests are needed to come to a final conclusion (as you carried out the cell free DNA blood test). Usually, the statistics are based on the studies carried out which have their limitations too. To definitely conclude Down's syndrome, further tests are needed (measuring other markers). If they are ok ,then no need to be worried about. May God bless both of you! Dr.Bardha