What do tiny clusters of white bumps on the corners of mouth indicate?

Dermatologist
Question
I have these tiny clusters of white bumps on the corners of my mouth for 6 days now. I went to my doctor 4 days ago and was told that it might be a skin irritation, possibly from something I ate. He gave me a cream called (desonide 0.05%). I have applied it two times a day. Yesterday the bumps started spreading throughout my entire lip. Other than spreading no change as occurre.
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: herpes labialis Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query. There is a possibility of herpes labialis. It is a viral infection affecting mainly the corners of mouth. I would like to see a photograph of the lesion. This will help me in giving a closer diagnosis. There Is an option to upload photos on right side of query page please utilize that. Waiting for your response. Thank you

Follow-up: What do tiny clusters of white bumps on the corners of mouth indicate? 1 hour later
herpes is a blister that pops, right? these look like a cluster of white head pimples. they are hard to see in the pics

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 12 hours later
Brief Answer: most possibly herpes Detailed Answer: Hello, Thank for the follow up. Yes true herpes appear as water filled lesion and pictures are somewhat showing vesicles. When these lesions get infected they become pustules. Its better to meet a dermatologist to get the lesions checked. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you,

Follow-up: What do tiny clusters of white bumps on the corners of mouth indicate? 3 hours later
If it is herpes, can it be spread to other parts of my mouth by doing simple things such as; eating, drinking, brushing your teeth and simply licking your lips? If it can would washing your face with a alcohol wipe help reduce spreading? Thank you for your help!

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 29 hours later
Brief Answer: It will not spread Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow up. Herpes is usually localized to the corners of mouth. It will not spread to other parts. Just apply an anti viral cream. Don't wash with alcohol. It may irritate the skin. thank you