What do tender breasts and swollen nodes in armpits indicate?

Mar 2013
Tender breasts and swollen nodes in armpits. I'm a 36 years old female. Had what I think a miscarriage two months ago. Ever since then my breast has been in pain. Now my armpits has swollen nodes. What can be happening?
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Most often, swollen nodes in the armpits are due to some kind of infection in the armpits ( axilla ). It could be due to an infected or ingrown hair follicle in the axilla, or a sebaceous cyst ( blocked oil gland or sweat gland ). Also, if you had a miscarriage at 4 months plus, sometimes you might have just started the process of lactation, and some blocked milk glands could cause this. Of course, a growth / lump in the breasts can always lead to enlarged draining nodes. What you need is a thorough evaluation by a gynecologist. Palpation of the breasts and a sonomammogram if necessary will establish a diagnosis. Antibiotics might be required to clear off the swelling. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.