What do swollen,painful,bluish round nodule above left clavicle indicate?

Male age 50 painful, slight bluish color round nodule swollen and painful to touch above left clavicle? what is it? It just started or was noticed today, very painful to touch, about size of a quarter and right above mid-clavicle area on left side of body
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follicular infection likely, pictures required Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. Now from the description, it looks like you have either developed a localized infective lesion like folliculitis or it can even be an enlarged lymph node owing to the site of the lesion. I would like to have a look at the skin lesion before commenting on the further action to be taken. Kindly click some close up picture of the exact skin lesion and upload them here on this page. You can also mail them at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul. Also please tell if there was any prior trauma to the site. Did you have any such lesions in the past? Any associated fever or any other problems in the recent part? I am sure I would be able to help you more once you provide me the above details along with the pictures. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: What do swollen,painful,bluish round nodule above left clavicle indicate? 0 minute later
No trauma to area Don't have photo since my friend is not in my house but was at party tonight and asked my advice as RN it is not a lesion, but a circle with all skin intact no other such lesions in the past no fever or other problems in the past like this very painful to touch which surprised me since he is a big, grown man no pus or redness to the area no trauma at all
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Painful nodule skin Detailed Answer: Hi again As far as the possibilities are concerned, we kept two possibilities which are a superficial infective lesion like folliculitis and the second is a tender and enlarged lymph node. An examination on the lesion by a picture would have been of great help in reaching a final diagnosis. But my advice would be that he should take a regular course of anti inflammatory drug like paracetamol thrice a day for atleast three days. If it is just a swollen lymph node, it would settle down. Such pain in lymph nodes can develop when our body is fighting any kind of an infection. If however, it is a lesion of folliculitis, then he might to apply topical antibiotic cream along zits intake of oral antibiotics. Hope it helps Dr Geetika Paul