What do swollen glands in neck and under the arm indicate?

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have swollen glands in my neck and under my arm. I have had blood test and also a esr of 49 & crp of 20. What could this be.
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: These are enlarge lymphnodes Detailed Answer: Hello, The swollen glands are enlarge lymph nodes. Lymph nodes drain white color fluid (lymph) from various part of body. They are also reservoir of infection and white blood cells. They become painful and enlarge in infection. You have not mentioned if these glands are painful in your case. So in your case i can think of two reason why these glands are enlarging. 1. As you have mentioned that ESR is raised and CRP is positive, you may be having some kind of infection. If these glands are painful than it is infection for sure. A test called FNAC will be needed to check what infection you are having. You will need to take antibiotic according to that. 2. There can be slight chance that It can be a lymphoma . So for doing confirmation about what is causing lymph node enlargement I would suggest you to get FNAC of your lymph nodes. It is simple needle test. Also there is no need of hospitalization. I hope this answer your query. Let me know if you want to know any thing else. It was my privilege to help you. Thanks and take care.