What do sperm analysis and progesterone levels indicate ?

my wife and I have been trying for a baby for 14 months. I am 29, my wife is 25 . My wifes bloodtest showed her progestorone level to be slightly low. My first semen test has came back and the results showed: count -11million , motility- 22% , morthology- 13% normal, 7 million round cells, volume 7ml. Waiting for a consultant but I know this is not good. Will we be able to have a baby with these odds???will changing my dietand lifestyle and taking the right vitamins be enough? what else can we do?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can understand your concern but the sperm analysis and progesterone levels are both not normal.

In a normal sperm analysis, the Volume over 2 cc is normal, so 7 cc is normal in your case. But if the sample has less than 20 million sperm per ml, this is considered to be a low sperm count. Yours are 11 millin count which accounts to oligospermia.

Motility is the percentage of moving sperm in a sample and an evaluation of their rate and direction of travel. At least 50% should be motile one hour after ejaculation and it is 22% in your case.

Considering the progesterone levels, low progesterone can be detected by a blood test after ovulation or by charting fertility. Your wife can take supplements like progesterone capsules, injections and vaginal suppositories after consulting her gynecologist but you need a detailed evaluation in your case.

Taking the right vitamins and changing the diet and lifestyle alone are not enough and the cause for this sperm analysis has to be detected and treated. Treatment is of as paramount importance as diet and vitamins.

Oligospermia can be due to multiple causes and it is broadly divided onto pre testicular, testicular and post testicular causes. We need to identify the cause in your case first. My sincere suggestion would be to consult an infertility specialist and get a detailed evaluation.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.