What do small white dots and white patch on tonsil indicate?

Hi Dr. XXXXXXX I was traveling to very cold places and on 28th Jan'14, I started to have get a bad cold, cough and extreme running nose. A GP prescribed Novomox 650 mg (antiobiotic) along with anti allergen and my symptom become 80% bettwer wthin 4 days. But off and on i had small bouts of dry cough. On 14th Feb'14, took cold cake and wine. next day i consumed chilled beer in moderate quantity. One the same day my cough started again with frequent mucus in my throat. By 17th Feb'14, i started feeling a sore throat on my right side which started feeling in my right ear. by 20th Feb'14 the pain was severe and I had trouble swallowing food. By it has subsided by 22nd feb'14. A second visit to the GP revealed that my right tonsil was inflamed and bigger then my left. There is no fever or swollen lymph nodes in my neck. No nausea/vomitting or weight loss. But there are small white dots and a relatively single bigger white patch where i felt maximum pain while taking food. I am now on Augmentine+ Potasium Covernate (500 mg) antibiotic pills and taking pain killers along with Anti Allegeren for past 2 days. My cough has come down but it starts if I expose myself to cold wind or AC. Pain in tonsil is hardly there now but the size has not reduced and white spots remain. Please advise whether this tonsil pain/inflamation on only right side is normal in such scenario? When will these reduce back in size as some part of my right tonsils are 20% bigger then my left tonsil now. Earlier (even 2 months ago) both sides were of same size when I last observed. I hope this is not cancer. hi Doctor, the small white dots and the smal white patch are observed on my right tonsil. I just wanted to mention this since my message above is slightly confusing.
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It's follicular tonsillitis Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day The small white dots and patch is due to retained inflammatory secretion of the tonsil . It is known as follicular tonsillitis. It's quite common to experience such symptoms during upper respiratory tract infection. Inflammatory lesion of the tonsil usually produce pain, cancer lesion is painless. So there is no cause of concern and your apprehension can be laid to rest. I would like to suggest you the following which will help in faster resolution of residual pain and patch 1. Povidone Iodine gargles can be used for gargling the throat. It should be done thrice a day, you can also alternate it with warm saline gargling which can be prepared by adding two spoon of common table salt to glass of lukewarm water. 2. Consume hot liquid like tomato or chicken soup 3. Avoid alcohol and cold beverages Rest be assured and be relaxed and take adequate rest. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD
Follow-up: What do small white dots and white patch on tonsil indicate? 4 hours later
Thank you very much Doctor. My only question left is whether the inflamed tonsils will reduce back to their original size after the infection is cured? How much time does this reduction takes normally?
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Resolution within 1 to 2 weeks Detailed Answer: Hi It will definitely lead to complete resolution and the duration will vary between 1 to 2 weeks. Rest be assured there is no cause for concern. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak