What do small raised bumps on the penis shaft indicate?

Hello doctor i have a concern regarding the private area. I've noticed small raised bumps on my shaft. I went to see the doctor about a 3 weeks ago they advised it was sign of possible irritation from hair follicles piercing the skin and prescribed me mupirocin ointment. The bumps seemed to scab up and heal afterwards, but now havent used the ointment in a few day and now i see 2 small bumps possibly reappearing in different areas on my shaft. Could this be herpes? I'm terrified
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Looks more like folliculitis, send more pictures Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. Firstly, I would confess that the pictures are not very clear. If you can upload some new ones with a better view of the lesions, it would be great. Now what I could make from the history and the appearance, the lesions possibly go more in favour of what your doctor diagnosed. It is very unlikely to be lesions of herpes since they healed simply with a topical antibiotic cream. Herpes lesions require a proper treatment with antivirals for healing. Please provide certain other details for us to reach a final diagnosis. Is there any associated pain or itching? What medicine are you applying over the lesions other than the antibiotic cream? Are you applying any other oil or creams? Any outside contact? I am sure I will be able to help you more once you provide me the pictures and the above details. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: What do small raised bumps on the penis shaft indicate? 18 minutes later
There has not been any pain that i can recall. The itching is not chronic only when my skin is dry is when i feel the itch which is mild to none. Other than the prescribed cream I only used rubbing alcohol and XXXXXXX cider vinegar/ with mother to assist with healing. and cocoa butter to prevent scaring... I was my hands every time i touch the area. I change my towels when bathing everyday. I only wear 100% cotton underwear ....If its not herpes which i am hoping not is folliculitis contagious?? any additional treatment options
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Allergic reaction due to application of irritants Detailed Answer: Hi again You are developing the lesions due to application of irritants like vinegar and alcohol over the area. The skin over the genitals is very thin and these substances can cause irritant reactions and that is what you are developing. These substances lead to irritation and development of fluid filled blisters as well as precipitate the development of lesions of folliculitis. You should stop application of all these agents. Do not apply them in future also. Just clean the affected area with a simple soap and water and apply mupirocin cream over it. You should not even apply any type of oils over it. Wear cotton undergarments only so as to avoid any further irritation. These lesions are not contagious in nature, but still to avoid any further infection upon them since the skin is raw in these areas, you should use a contraceptive agent during any kind of sexual act. Hope it answers your query Please ask if you need any further clarifications Dr Geetika Paul Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: What do small raised bumps on the penis shaft indicate? 8 hours later
Hi doctor Thank you so much for your diagnosis. I will stop using the other agents immediately. I am slightly relieved now given two specialist have stated this is not an STD. However I want this to be gone to be fully at ease. Would it be ok to cover the infected area with a bandage after the cream is applied? Sometimes I wonder I am maybe not getting the full benefits of the mupurocin cream due to it rubbing off on my under garments. How long does it usually take to fully heal with constant use of the cream? Thank you so much again for helping me. It means a lot!
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Proper application of medicine Detailed Answer: HI again Once you apply the medicine, you do loo need to cover it with any bandage. Just leave it for two to five minutes. It will get adequately absorbed for it to act. Also, once you stop the application of the offending agent's, the lesions should heal in five to seven days. You can do the treatment as advised, I am sure the lesions will heal soon. Hope it helps Dr Geetika Paul