What do red blister-like bumps on the spine indicate?

Dec 2012

I have three red, round blister-like bumps on my spine...more or less in a row. Each is about 1/2" round. Two have whitish speckles. No itching. I think they're spider bites, not bed bugs. I have photos.Additionally, My mother is an RN BSN and she doesn't think they look like bed bug bites at all. Nor have I traveled, etc...
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Looks like a fungal infection of the skin Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting on HCM, I am very pleased to be able to assist you. From the appearance of the rash it looks like a fungal skin infection order wise known as ringworm. Fungi are germs that can live on the dead tissue of the hair, nails, and outer skin layers. Tinea corporis is caused by mold-like fungi called dermatophytes. Fungi do well in warm, moist areas. A tinea infection is more likely if you: - Have wet skin for a long time (such as from sweating) - Have minor skin and nail injuries - Do not bathe or wash your hair often - Come in close contact with other people (such as in sports like wrestling) Ringworms are often painless and non-itchy such as in your case. In order to confirm or rule this out, your health care provider maybe able to conduct an examination by scrapping skin from the rash, then testing with potassium hydroxide (which will indicate positive if indeed fungi but negative if not). If I am correct, then you should be able to apply OTC antifungi such as miconazole or ketokonazole cream and within a couple of days to weeks you should get rid of the rash. However, if the rash is due to another underlying condition (early signs), then you will require further medical investigation to determine the actual onset of the rash. As red circular flat rashes have many differentials but the most common is tinea corporis. Hope this helps and wish you the best. If you have any further concerns, please feel free to write back. Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: What do red blister-like bumps on the spine indicate? 39 hours later
Thank you for your response. It makes sense to me a) coming from a medical family as I do, and b) that someone I know has had a similar response. Unfortunately I am in an area in siege of cold weather and it's difficult to get an appointment to see my physician. But, I agree with you in trying the Miconazole, which I have, to make sure that nothing spreads and to keep an eye on it and hope that it doesn't re-present itself...Follow-up question: Is there something I should do/apply to surfaces in order to help prevent something like this from occurring again...other than of course the bodily consideration. I.e. Lysol-ing things or using another product to help prevent a return of this issue? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: unfortunately nothing can be done. Detailed Answer: Thanks for updating, I am pleased to know that you are satisfied with my response. Well it is not possible to prevent such fungi infection with use of topical creams. In the other hand, because fungi prefer warm, moist environments, preventing ringworm involves keeping skin dry and avoiding contact with infectious material. Basic prevention measures include: - Washing hands after handling animals, soil, and plants. - Avoiding touching characteristic lesions on other people. - Wearing loose-fitting clothing. - Practicing good hygiene when participation in sports involves physical contact with other people. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: What do red blister-like bumps on the spine indicate? 41 minutes later
Thank you. Very helpful. Thumbs up...
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are welcome. Detailed Answer: I happy to know that your satisfied. Please accept my answer at the end to confirm this and leave your review. Regards Dr. Nsah