What do flared itchy red bumps on my body signify ?

I get flare ups of raised red bumps on my body (looks a little like mosquito bite). They itch like crazy, I end up bruising myself because I'm itching the area so much. After I scratch for so long the area gets very swollen and hot. The next day, that area is very tender and hurts if you touch it. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease two months ago and wondered if this is a symptom of CD or could it be something else?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 4 hours later

Thank you for the query,

There is a relationship between 'coeliac disease' and 'skin disease' especially if it is associated with itching. The skin condition associated with coeliac disease is called "Dermatitis herpetiformis" (DH).
DH present with sever itchy grouped blisters or vesicles over an erythematous base (red raised base).These are especially seen over neck ,arms and buttocks. It is also associated with gluten sensitivity i.e one who takes diet XXXXXXX in wheat ,barley,oat etc. These rashes are also known as "gluten rash" or "coeliac disease rash".

In your case, you have not mentioned any thing about blisters or water filled lesion. But it might begin with erythematous(red) rashes and itching too.

Kindly let me know few things here, so that I can suggest you better :
1) Do you get any blisters or water filled lesions?
2) What is the exact site of raised rashes you get?
3) Any association with any food item?
4) Do you feel any mosquito bite would be causing itching and red lesions?

Please reply back with the above answers, as this will help me in answering you better.

Dr.Bharat chawda