What do early periods indicate ?

i got my period 3 days earlier then normal but it only last 3-4 days instead of 6. this has never happened to me before. i feel sick certain smells and the food i was eating made me feel worse. im tired and have a headache. ive never . im 23.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 32 minutes later
Hi Dianne,

Getting periods 3 days or even upto a week early is considered normal. There is nothing to worry about. It is a hormonal change that happens in the body regularly and annually one or two cycles may turn out to be like this .

If this keeps on happening over the next few months, with the flow and the no of days of bleeding getting lesser with each cycle, then you may need to be examined by a Gynecologist and get a few tests done.

Here is a list of some tests that would help you:

1. Complete blood count with hemoglobin
2. Random Blood sugar
3. Urine routine and microscopy
4. Ultrasound scan abdomen and pelvis.

You don't need to get them done now, but if you notice the next few periods to be very scanty in flow,and lasting for 2 or 3 days as compared to previous 6 days, you may need to get these tests done.

Anemia, thyroid dysfunction, infection (systemic or vaginal), stress and hormonal imbalance are the causes I can think of, if this pattern continues for many cycles. Do not worry about the cycles coming 3 days early, that is normal.

Hope I have answered your query. I would be available for follow ups as well