What do darkish lesions on inner cheeks indicate?

ENT Specialist
I have two of these darkish lesions in my mouth on my inner cheeks. What could these be?
Posted Fri, 7 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Descriptive Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. There can be multiple causes of dark areas over the buccal mucosa. Drugs like iron preparations are the most common causes. Dental procedures can also lead to dark spots with implantation of material in the buccal mucosa. Smoking is another common cause as is the chewable tobacco. There can be benign nevi over buccal mucosa and your lesions from the photo appear like that (Although the photos are not clear). These are just to be observed and any recent increase in size or texture is to be reported. Certain diseases like Peutz-Jeghers syndrome can lead to the formation of dark areas over oral mucosa but are rare. Anaemia is a common cause of dark spots and so is the other nutritional deficiencies. Please stop tobacco use if you use it, get your hemoglobin estimated. if nothing of the sort, please observe the areas and if no change in character is there, just relax. If changes are recent, consult an ENT and may be a biopsy will be required. Feel free to ask another query. Regards