What do dark lesions in mouth indicate?

I have these two darkish "holes" in my mouth on the inside of my cheeks. Pretty much across from each other. What could they be?
Posted Fri, 7 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Oral lesions, need more pictures Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same . I have seen the attached picture. I would like to have a better look at the lesion. It would be great if you can click another close up picture of the same and upload them here on this page . Also please tell since when have you developed it? Is there any associated pain or discomfort? Do you have any dental fillings? Any habit of smoking? I am sure I will be able to help you more once you provide me the above details along with few more pictures. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: What do dark lesions in mouth indicate? 1 hour later
Here is another close up photo. I hope this helps!
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Oral lesions,need to rule out lichen planus Detailed Answer: Hi I have seen the picture. You seem to be developing lesions of lichen planus in your oral mucosa. Now this is basically an autoimmune disease in which there is development of violaceous to dark colored patches in the oral cavity especially on the inner side of cheeks. Now first of all, you need not worry since this is not something very XXXXXXX but yes it does need further evaluation and long term treatment. You should see a local dermatologist since you might be advised a biopsy for confirmation of diagnosis. Long term oral and topical steroids glue to be given in such cases. I would like to know if there is any burning sensation or discomfort while eating. Hope it helps Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: What do dark lesions in mouth indicate? 7 minutes later
no I have no discomfort or burning while eating. With treatment will the lesions go away? How long will they take to go away?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Oral lesions, might need biopsy, treatment Detailed Answer: Hi again Since you do not seem to be having any associated discomfort yet, so it is a sign of very early lesions. Still in case of oral lesions, most of the dermatologists prefer a confirmation by a biopsy before initiating any treatment. So you can follow what your dermatologist says. In initial stage, they can be well managed with treatment and should get better in few weeks . Dr Geetika Paul