What disease do I have if I get white patches on my lower lip and my arms?

Hello doctor, my name is XXXXXXX from chennai and m 27 yrs of age. 5ft 6" and 67 kgs. 6 months back i got a white patch (pigmentation) in my lower lip. It colours pinkish and i got into treatment for 5 months. Octamop or trimop (mrng 2tab in empty stomach) and antoxid (mrng 1tab aftr brkfst) were the tablets consumed and tacroz .03% & execare .05% (applied at night alternatively). Also eldem oil or Blistex balm (applied and exposed to sunlight for 10 mins daily) but after following all this the spotted area increased. There was no sign of cure. Also in both the arm and fist area i am getting small small patches which is slightly more visible when shown to sunlight for sometime. With all the details provided can you elaborate me the diagnosis and prescription for the problem in my skin and the best doctor in chennai to consult with. My mail ID - YYYY@YYYY . Thanks
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 53 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. From the symptoms and the treatment prescribed to you; Octamop containing methoxasalen, antxoid tablets, Tacroz containing PUVA and execare which is a potent steroid is basically prescribed if we suspect psoriasis or vitiligo.

Psoriasis causes skin redness and irritation and flaky, silver-white patches. Vitiligo is characterized by well-marginated milky white spots resulting from loss of melanocytes. Both these conditions can cause white hypopigmented patches on lips. Another possibility is of leukoplakia which may also cause white patches on lips or inside of cheeks and tongue.

To rule out these three possibilities, you need to get an examination done from a dermatologist. You may need tests like Wood’s light examination and a biopsy skin to confirm the diagnosis.

You may consider an appointment with the doctor below
Dr. XXXXXXX Rajagopalan
Phone: 044 - 0000, 0000( as per our data)
Address: 12, Shastri Nagar, Mahatma XXXXXXX Road Adyar Chennai 0000 Tamil Nadu
Landmark: Near Adyar XXXXXXX Bhavan

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health and waiting for your follow up questions.