What dietary precautions will help in case of diarrhea and vomitting during 9 1/2 weeks of pregnancy ?

Hi i am 9 1/2 weeks pregnant and had severe liquid diarrhea yesterday for 4 hours and vomitted twice .I feel much better this morning even though my stomach is stll upset.Would you advise to report that staight away to my midwife and also what type of food would you advise me to eat today?Thank you
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 5 hours later

Good that you have recovered from loose stools. It could be viral cause.

Watch the following and immediately see the doctor if there is:
1) Headache and dizziness and other signs of dehydration
2) Stomach pain, 5/10
3) Blood and mucus in the stools
4) Diarrhoea continue for more than 48 hours

Diet for next 48 hours:

1) Any thing fluid like Yogurt in fluid form. Yogurt, which has less lactose than milk, is often better tolerated. Yogurt with active, live bacterial cultures may even help people recover from diarrhea more quickly.
2) Non spicy and non oily
3) Boiled and cooled water with 1Tsp of Sugar and pinch of salt.
4) No carbonated beverages and caffeine
5) As symptoms improve, soft, bland foods can be added to the diet, including bananas, plain rice, boiled potatoes, toast, crackers, cooked carrots, and baked chicken without the skin or fat.

Hope this answers you question.

Wish you Good Health and Happy pregnancy