What dietary precautions should i take during the course of vaccination for dog bite?

Hi Doc, I got bitten by a stray dog in the lower thigh area today. There were two teeth marks on my left thigh with a very little amount of bleeding(one or two drops at max) and there was also a scratch on my lower right thigh. i washed up the wound with dettol liquid soap and then applied some aftershave on it. After an hour or two the tentanus and rabipur was administered to me at the hospital, with four more scheduled doses of rabipur. Now my querries are as follows; 1. Are these vaccinations enough or should I get a shot of rabies immuno globulins, tomorrow as well. One of the doctors prescribed this vaccination but the other one said that it was not necessary since the bite was not in a sensitive part of the area (face, eyes etc.). So i did not take it. 2. Rabipur was administered in the buttocks region, shouldn't it be administered in the arm? 3. What dietary precautions should I take during the course of this vaccination? Thanks
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Both Vaccination and Human Rabies Immunoglobulin Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear XXXX You have had a significant exposure of bites and scratches and the dog is a stray dog. So its advisable and recommended to include Human Rabies Immunoglobulin in the management apart from the Rabipur immunization which will include 5 doses which are 1. DOSE 1: on day of exposure Dose 2: three days after exposure Dose 3: 7 days after exposure Dose 4: 14 days after exposure Dose 5: 28 days after exposure All these immunizations are strictly to be given deltoid region. Giving it in buttock reduces the immunogenicity of the vaccine. Remember Rabies is one of the disease with 100% mortality. It's better to be safe always. So its recommended to go for both vaccination and also Human Rabies Immunoglobulin In case of exposure to stray dogs. Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD
Follow-up: What dietary precautions should i take during the course of vaccination for dog bite? 12 hours later
Can I take this shot of Human Rabies Immunoglobulins with the dose 2 of Rabipur vaccination or should I get it before that? Also in which part of the body is this vaccination administered?
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Both can be given simultaneously Detailed Answer: Hi Rabipur is administered in deltoid region and Human Rabies Immunoglobulin is administered in gluteal region. Both can be given at same time. Do get back if you need any further clarification. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak
Follow-up: What dietary precautions should i take during the course of vaccination for dog bite? 5 hours later
Thanks for the prompt advice doc I will discuss it with the doctor treating me at the hospital. But what if he advises me not to take it, should I go see another doctor? Also I read that immunoglobulins are administered to produce antibodies against rabies at a faster rate with a half life of 21 days. So what if I do not take it? Isn't the Rabipur vaccine good enough alone? Thanks XXXX
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Human Immunoglobulin afford immediate protection Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX Rabipur is a good vaccine but it takes time for the body to produce antibodies and provide protection against infection. But human Rabies Immunoglobulin provides immediate protection by neutralising any virus present. Remember Rabies is 100 percent fatal if infected. So its better to be safe than sorry. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD