What diet should be given to babies during winters to avoid cold and strengthen immunity?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Hi it is the begining of winter and I need some advice to protect my baby (11 month)from colds i'm planning to make her chicken soap and lemon juice daily,what other things shall we add to our daily nutrition and routine to strengthen her immunity she goes everyday to the day care,people keep telling me that i should cover her face when i take her from the car tell i reach the building ,but i feel that ppl who overprotect there children cause them worse immunity and there children get sick once they breath a cool breeze , I need a medical advice ,what's the best practise ?
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Parenting
Answered by Dr. Arun 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Give her flu shots and plenty of fruits and veg Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing again 1) Get flu shot for influenza if not already taken 2) Give her chicken soup along with fruits and vegetables which are known to stimulate immunity. 3) Over protecting is not advisable. kids need to be exposed atleast a little bit to train their immune systems 4) Good play and feed followed by sleep will boost her immunity. 5) Avoid anyone with cold symtoms to handle your baby 6) Continue breastfeeding as long as possible ( upto 2 years) .If stopped already dont worry just make sure you give balanced food with cereals, pulses, oil, veg and fruits. Regards Dr Arun
Follow-up: What diet should be given to babies during winters to avoid cold and strengthen immunity? 47 hours later
Hi again, What about giving babies medicines ,i mean if my baby gets a cold or flu do you support giving babies medicines once they get sick ,or only when symptoms affect babies activity? Like when they have a cold but they are ordinarly active with no fever
Answered by Dr. Arun 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Give when symptoms are not mild Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing . Cold medicines like anti histamines and decongestants can be given if symptoms are not mild. Do not wait for symptoms to affect her activities. They are usually harmless if given in the right dose for short period. Antibiotics are to be given only after clinical examination if cold doesn't settle in few days.