What diet should I follow if I have typhoid? Done Widal test, taking prescribed medication

I am diagnosed of typhoid ... what is the diet I need to follow?? I am on fixed medications from my family doctor.
My Widal test results are : S.Typhi "O" 1 : 160
S.Typhi "H" 1 : 320
S.Paratyphi - "AH" Absent
S.Paratyphi - "BH" Absent

Posted Sat, 8 Sep 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.
As per your Widal reports, you have Typhoid because - titre of 100 or more for O
antigen is considered significant and a titre in excess of 200 for H antigens is considered significant.

Continue medications as mentioned by your treating physician.
Regarding diet, yes diet does help in recovery of typhoid. Typhoid patients need more calories and proteins to deal with weakness. Follow the tips given below.

Choose a high calorie intake with plenty of carbohydrate as fruit juices with glucose, coconut water, barley water, rice kanjee, rava etc.

High protein is also required so if there is no diarrhea,then include milk and milk products such as custards, fruit milk shake + thin dhal, eggs, soft cooked fish and chicken may be given.

Mashed potato and other soft cooked vegetables and fruits like banana must be given.
As there is intestinal inflammation all fiber is to be eliminated from the diet so that the intestine is not further irritated. Also a bland diet is to be followed without any spices or masala.

Because of the fever, water balance may be affected. So plenty of water and fluids are necessary. Keep fat as low as possible, too much fat in the food during fever causes the fever to rise higher and can also cause vomiting.

Now food which should be avoided is - butter, ghee, vegetable oil, chillies, spices and all irritating fibers occurring in foods. Also XXXXXXX pastries, fried snacks, desserts and thick cream soups must be avoided.

Take small frequent feeds as your body allows. I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.