What cuses stiffness and clicking sound in knees after knee injury?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had an motorbike accident on 14th November (55 days back) and had injury on right knee. I had an injury in the same knee from an accident 3 years back. Initially there was pain, swelling, tenderness and knee giving away. I Have done MRI. Findings are :- Ligament -Areas of altered signal intensity visualized as isotense signals on T1WI and hyperintense signals on T2WI/STIR are noted involving posterior cruciate ligament. Posterior cruciate ligament is thickened. It is suggestive of its contusion. Joint - Minimal joint effusion is noted. Bones - Features suggestive of chondromalacia patella are noted. When visited doctor before doing MRI the findings of the doctor was ACL ligament might be torn/near to torn from the earlier injury. But after MRI s findings doctor told to do Isometric & Isotonic quadricep exercise. Wearing a knee brace. Till now I was having pain in the side ward backside of the knee and currently the pain is moving down and currently having pain in the backside just below the knee joint. When walked for around 300 metres 4 days back without knee brace and moving up on stairs the leg was slightly trembling for sometime. Doctor has told to walk normally but I am not getting confidence to walk for long and normally. Getting Confused if I continue walking and do normal activities or take rest. I can fold the knee fully. But when folding the knee on sitting on bed the knee gives a feeling like giving away a bit. When I wake up in the morning i feel pain in the side back of the knee and a stiffness which slowly goes away once i start folding the knee. This happens when i sit on bed for long keeping the leg straight. There is a click sound when I straighten the knee from folded condition. Also my another knee is giving pain, a small click sound and problem when moving up & down stairs. This may be because I am currently giving more pressure to the better knee. Please tell me how serious is the case and what to do now on.
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: You can do the routine activities. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. It has been 55 days since the injury. The contusion must have healed by now. The mild changes stiffness and clicking sound that you are having is likely to be due to chonromalacia patellae. A sudden and frequent movement can precipitate pain in your knee joint. The best way is to avoid the painful activities and continue with your routine activities without a brace. Stretching and strengthening the quadriceps and hamstring muscle groups is critical for proper treatment. Quad sets are done by contracting the thigh muscles while the legs are straight and holding the contraction for a count of 10. Sets of 10 contractions are done between 15-20 times per day.You can do the required exercises under the care of an expert physiotherapist. Wear only sports shoes with proper biomechanical fit. Heat application and use of elastic knee brace is advised for proper knee support at the time of exercise. Avoid such activities as squatting, kneeling, heavy lifting, climbing, etc. Adding glucosamine sulfate as supplement after consulting your orthopedician may help in relieving your symptoms. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What cuses stiffness and clicking sound in knees after knee injury? 28 hours later
Dear Dr Tayal, Thanks for your helpful reply. I have few things to ask. 1) Have you gone through my MRI report and prescriptions i attached because the Dr told me that his clinical findings and the MRI findings were not matching and i was a bit confused about it. 2) Is it normal for the knee pain to continue after 56 days as per the MRI report. the pain is moving downwards sometimes. 3) Can i continue walking normally for continuous 30 mins or more bcoz i tried some days back and the leg was trembling slightly for some time. 4) My leg is getting stiff and giving pain while folding when i keep my leg straight on the bed for say 30-40 mins or so, and the stiffness & problem goes away once i start folding slowly. Is this normal also? Thank you Ayanjit
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. 1) I have seen your MRI report and both the prescriptions. The second doctor that you consulted states that clinically Lachman's test was positive which indicates an anterior cruciate ligament injury or instability. The MRI report suggests a contusion of posterior cruciate ligament. A repeat MRI can help in a clearer diagnosis and the state of the contusion now. 2) The pain can persist if adequate rest is not provided to the knee for proper healing. It can be due to the primary injury or the inflammation due to chondromalacia patellae. 3) You can continue walking but avoid more strenuous exercises for few more days till your muscles are strong enough. 4) The mild stiffness after an injury is a normal finding. A hot fomentation and a light massage will help in a complete relief. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards
Follow-up: What cuses stiffness and clicking sound in knees after knee injury? 2 days later
Dear Dr Tayal, Thanks for the reply once again. 1 question. Someone(not a doctor) told me that cycling for sometime may be helpful for this kind of injury(PCL ligament injury). I do have pain in the knee and it increases when I do some long activity or give much pressure on the knee. Should i try cycling now or later?. Regards Ayanjit
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 hours later
Brief Answer: You can start cycling. Detailed Answer: Hello. You can start with cycling. It will help in increasing the mobility of the knee joint. Do not over exert yourself. Do not cycle initially for ore than 5 minutes and gradually increase the tie interval if it is painless. Regards.
Dear Dr, One last question. Have tried riding bike for 3 days back. But there is good pain so i left. Today I did the Quad sets more and I tried stretching my leg with small weight 1 ,2 times. But now I am feeling sharp pain in the right side of my knee. The pain is quite intense and sharp and I have never felt this type of pain in last 60 days. Should I have to rest ?? is it because of the exercise? Please advice. Regards Ayanjit
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 hours later
Brief Answer: You need to rest. Detailed Answer: Hello. Since there is a sharp pain after the exercise it means that your injury has not yet completely healed. You need to have more rest and use an elastic knee brace on the knee for support during the daytime. This will help in reducing the pain and swelling during your daily activities. Do increase the exercise after 2 weeks and that too gradually. Take a mild pain killer for the time being for relief. Regards.