What could one giant platelet and small clumping of platelets in blood test indicate?

i have 3rd nerver palsy. cbc showss 1 giant platelet small clumping of platelets...could this be due to the way the blood was drawn? technican had very difficult time.adding blood to vial a few times,took long time to fill vial if not what would cause large platelet
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 1 hour later
Brief Answer: can be a technician error Detailed Answer: Hi, 1 giant platelet and small clumping of platelet can be a technician error. But if multiple giant platelets are seen it can suggest blood disorders like chronic myeloid leukaemia, essential thrombocythaemia or polycythaemia vera. I suggest you repeat your blood test from another good lab. Also can you describe to be more about your third nerve palsy like when and how it happened. Is it on both or one side. Is it painful?
Follow-up: What could one giant platelet and small clumping of platelets in blood test indicate? 1 hour later
ENT DR.did ENDOSCOPY on my nose and within few hours i had double vision followed by ptsois.this was in Nov. ptsois cleared up but not double visuion. it is my left onset, was extremely painful but that has subsided to a very small amt pain in spenoid sinus area. had mri in nov...pathology ruled out, my sed rate normaL,WBC NORmAL BUT CRP ELEVATED AT 2.0 BLOOD TEST DONE EVERY TWO WEEKS ENDOSCOPY DONE FOR SINUS PAIN I WEAR PATCH ON AFFECTED EYE
Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Definitely large platelets not related with palsy Detailed Answer: Hi, I am so sorry that after an endoscopy you had palsy. Definitely then the large platelets have no connection with your palsy. I would suggest you to repeat the blood test as it looks mostly a technical error . Also get physiotherapy for your palsy as post procedure palsies generally heal well with physiotherapy unless the ENT surgeon totally cut out the nerve . Do not worry about the blood report.