What could make your belly button bleed?

Hi Doctor, What could make your belly button bleed?! I'm 39 and I have never seen anything like this before. It's not a lot of blood, but it seems to just keep welling up and scabbing over. Is this potentially serious, or am I making a big deal of nothing? Regards XXXX
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Possibility of local skin infection, granulomma Detailed Answer: Hi, XXXX, Thanks for posting query. Nothing to worry, your problem is not serious. Most common problem might be having some local infection like infection in umbilicus, dermatitis causing itching leading to some bleeding from umbilicus. There might be umbilical granulomma, which is again a common condition. Consult your doctor. Local examination will give exact nature of your problem. If require he may go for ultrasound examination to rule out any deep seated infection. Keep your umbilicus clean as due to depression in umbilicus may give rise to deposition of dust etc will give rise to infection. Apply triple acting cream after proper cleaning. I hope, I answered your query. If you have any further query or clarification, please ask. Ok and take care.