What could it be if you have red spots on penis?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
What could it be if you have red spots on the tip of your penis?
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX tellefsen, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. The might be a number of causes for red spots on the tip of your penis depending on the size, number, distribution, any pain or itching and any wound or ulceration. People often get scared when they find red spots in the penis but most of the time it is harmless. However, if due to any sexually transmitted disease, it must be confirmed and treated immediately to avoid complications and damage. In many people, most of the red itchy spots are caused by skin irritation during masturbation or during sexual intercourse. It can also be due to allergy from lubricants or mild bacterial infection. In this case the spots should be treated with antibiotic cream or usually they disappear on their own in couple of weeks. If they still persist than it's perhaps a condition which needs to be further investigated in detail suspecting a sexually transmitted infection. Please consult a dermatologist and get examined. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: What could it be if you have red spots on penis? 11 hours later
I have three but they dont itch or have any pain . There just there. But they havent goneaway and its been up there for awhile now. I know I have to seea doctor but is there anything else u can tell me or give me some insight onthe situation.

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX tellefsen, Thanks for writing in with an update. I assume that you have 3 small papules (slightly raised bumps) on the head of your penis measuring 3 to 5 mm in diameter and these don't itch or cause pain and are there for months. Please correct me if I'm wrong. In this situation it can be a totally harmless condition known as Fordyce spots or pearly penile papules. Next is the possibility of an infection like genital warts or molluscum contagiosum. It is less likely to be genital herpes if there is no pain. The above insight needs to be confirmed by clinical examination. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek