What could cause yellow bowel movement with weight loss?

Hi I am a 6 foot male and weigh just 52.5kg, I have been having yellow bowel motions for quite some time now I have gone from 60kg to this weight over just a few years, should I be worried about it? I have had blood tests to try to detect Celiacs the gene test came back negative on both counts, the antibody one i believe was a false positive and my GP says I don't have any malasorption problems, lately I have been taking slippery elm and noticed it has magnesium sterate in it and there has been controversy over this chemical, I take between 7 - 8 capsules a day and noticed my bowel motions have got worse so maybe I am sensitive to it? should I be worried about my weight for my height? I have an appointment to see a gastrologist privately ASAP. thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please see the details Detailed Answer: Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM). Your BMI is 15.6 which is very low and suggest that you are underweight which definitely requires evaluation. That's good that you have already fixed an appointment with a Gastroenterologist. He may take detail history and may advise few blood tests like blood sugar, complete hemogram, liver function tests, serum calcium, lipid profile, stool examination especially for reducing sugars and fat. Other tests like endoscopy with duodenal biopsy or may be colonoscopy for terminal ileum to see for malabsorption. You should stop magnesium intake as it causes diarrhoea which may be the culprit I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to answer that too. Remain in touch and get-well soon.
Follow-up: What could cause yellow bowel movement with weight loss? 1 hour later
Thanks you Dr XXXXXXX thats a very helpful reply. :) my GP will also have them do gi scans at the hospital here so hopefully that might show something too.
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 7 hours later
Brief Answer: best of luck Detailed Answer: Wish you a good health. If you do not have further query you may close the discussion and rate the answer