What could cause small white patch on neck?

Question
My son is 4 yrs old. From long time, there is a small white patch on his neck(just below his hairs). The patch was very small till now, but seems the size of the patch is increasing slowly. There is no pain for him due to this patch. One more observation is when there is any scratch to the skin, after recovery instead of skin color it shows white color and remains there for long time. Need your advice on this.
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 42 hours later
Brief Answer: need some more details Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Have you applied any medication, if yes please mention the name. Does the spot itch? Do you see any discharge from the lesion? If possible please attach an image of the lesion here. waiting for your response,

Follow-up: What could cause small white patch on neck? 3 hours later
Please find my reply below... Have you applied any medication, if yes please mention the name. [Piyush] No meditation Does the spot itch? [Piyush] No Do you see any discharge from the lesion? [Piyush] No concern about if the spot grows in future.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 20 hours later
Brief Answer: need to have a look at the lesion Detailed Answer: Hi, Do attach an image of the spot you have here on the right side of the page or send it to YYYY@YYYY to my attention. I shall have a look at the image and advice better. Waiting for the image.

Follow-up: What could cause small white patch on neck? 2 hours later
as requested, I have uploaded the image of the spot. Kindly check.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 21 hours later
Brief Answer: Guttate Hypomelanosis Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the image. After having a look at the image I suspect the lesion to be single patch of Guttate Hypomelanosis. This is not a serious condition and do not spread. The cause for it is usually unknown but most times it is considered to be due to exposure to the sunlight. Wherein the melanocytes which impart brown color to the skin get damaged and result in white patch. You can apply ADAPALENE ointment in the night and Clobetasol propionate (Dermolâ„¢ Cream/Ointment) in the day time. It does take time for the medication to show the response. Do observe the change. If there is no improvement then you may have to consult a Dermatologist. Regards,