What could cause gastric varices and how to treat this?

Approximately three years ago I had a EGD. I was diagnosed with gastric varices (varicose veins) of the stomach wall. I do not drink or smoke. I did a sonogram of the portal vein in liver and a abdominal sonogram. Also liver function blood tests. All Normal. Doctor did not think they would rupture. My question is as follows. 1. What else could cause this. Could a food allergy cause this. 2. how often should I have a EGD. 3. What do you recommend? Sincerely, XXXXX
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please see the details Detailed Answer: Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM). 1.There are few causes of Portal hypertension that lead to formation of varices like cirrhosis, portal vein thrombosis or obstruction, hepatic vein thrombosis, budd chiarri syndrome, some infections like schistosomiasis, systemic disease like sarcoidosis, T.B. for which you should discuss with your doctor who may evaluate you accordingly 2. Depends on the status of the liver and risk signs. Liver status as you have mentioned is normal, I don't know whether you have undergone liver biopsy or Fibroscan to confirm whether Cirrhosis is there or not to confirm the cause. If there is no risk and liver is normal get EGD every three yearly if you are on medication for prophylaxis like beta blocker. If you are not on any prophylasix then annually 3. Mentioned as above I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to answer that too. Remain in touch and get-well soon.