What could cause face swelling after appearance of a lesion on the nose?

I have what i thought was a zit in my nose. but now my face is swollen. and my girlfriend is worried it might be serious
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: pictures Detailed Answer: Hi See you seem to initially have a lesion of folliculitis in your nose which has now seemingly caused a swelling of the face. Please click a close up picture of the face. I would like to see the type of swelling that you have . Upload the picture here on this page. You can mail it too at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref on Dr Geetika Paul. Also let me know if you have taken some medicine before the development of facial swelling in the form of any antibiotics or pain killers. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: What could cause face swelling after appearance of a lesion on the nose? 25 minutes later
Here is a pic. I am at the after hours clinic now. I got another doctors answer and said it could be serious since I am diabetic. I am sure they will give me some antibiotics
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Cellulitis Detailed Answer: Hi Yes you are right. You surely need an immediate treatment in the form of antibiotics for management of cellulitis that you have developed. See since you are a diabetic, a small lesion of folliculitis spreads very fast especially when the blood glucose levels are not properly maintained. There are two things that you need to do. One is to see your physician for immediate antibiotics coverage. Second is an assessment of your blood glucose levels and thereby their management. It is very important to bring blood glucose levels under control in order to prevent the further spread of infection. In future also, I would advise you to be very careful and not to ignore even any minor trauma or lesions. Dr Geetika Paul