What could cause a sudden painful lump on the head?

Nov 2013

Hi, What could cause a painful lump on the head to appear spontaneously? I have had this issue for a few days now, it appears to be a hard and painful lump on the scalp. Is there any need for extra precaution given the close proximity to the brain? Thanks.
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. The most likely cause for the development of a sudden painful lump on the head could be an infection, of the skin, subcutaneous tissue or the soft tissue. There is little risk of this spreading to the brain, however, this lump needs to be evaluated and appropriate treatment is required. You may require analgesics such as ibuprofen or diclofenac and a course of antibiotics. Please consult your GP or family physician for opinion. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: My blog: