What could cause a cracking sound from throat and swelling between chin and throat?

I just swallowed and heard what sounded like a crack from inside my throat. Now it is swollen between the chin and throat, and hurts to swallow and talk. What happened? Thank you!
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 1 hour later

It will be helpful if you give further details so that i can help you with your problem.
1. Your age and gender?
2. Did you have similar experience in past ?
3. What is the size of swelling , can you quantify it?
4. was is it associated with coughing of blood or breathing difficulties?

Since the history is brief i;m not able to tell you about the condition properly

Please get back with the answers.

Follow-up: What could cause a cracking sound from throat and swelling between chin and throat? 32 minutes later
The age and gender is specified already - male, 40.

I have not had a similar situation before, but did sneeze earlier in the week which made my throat sore.

Once the crack was heard, it seemed to swell. The swelling is about one finger larger than normal where the skin would XXXXXXX beneath the jaw (like sagging under the jaw). The voicebox area seems somewhat swollen as well.

There has been no blood, no breathing difficulties. It does hurt to talk. Only pain swallowing. Am drinking warm tea (non caffeinated) and iced the area.
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 33 minutes later
Hi again.

From the above information i believe the crack sound was caused due to sliding of the cartilages , whenever there is sudden increase in pressure in the pharynx and Larynx ,it causes the opposing ends of cartilage to slide resulting in click sound, as occurs in coughing or swallowing.

This causes edema of the mucosa of the pharynx and larynx, which causes pain during talking or swallowing.

The chances of dislocation or fracture of cartilage may be ruled out by the severity of symptoms, breathing difficulties ,coughing up of blood. But clinical examination is required to rule out the same.

Please avoid icing the area, do salt water gargling thrice a day after food.

You can take the Tab. Ibuprofen 400mg if pain is more, take the tablet after food twice daily for 2 days.

The swelling under the jaw is probably a lymph node as indicated by the position of the swelling, which you might have noticed now.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Wish you Good Health