What could be wrong if had carpal tunnel surgery on both the wrists?

What could be wrong if I have had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists in 2011 and three weeks ago both have been hurting as if the surgery HAD never been done? This is frustrating and extremely painful as in before.
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Recurring pain after surgery-rare,but happens

Detailed Answer:

May I know if you had an open surgery or endoscopic one?

This is because, when open surgery is applied, there is a risk of having pain in the scar tissue.

However, in both cases, although it has been reported in rare cases, studies have shown that patients who went under carpal tunnel surgery as you had might experience the same pain after the surgery. This might be your case.

At your age, the healing process is normally slower than in younger people. Furthermore, arthritis might be also a factor to your pain.

You can use oral and topical pain killers (over-the-counter) to alleviate the pain.

You can also massage the affected area and apply warm clothes to keep it warm in order to relieve the pain.

All the best!

Follow-up: What could be wrong if had carpal tunnel surgery on both the wrists? 19 hours later
My surgery was endoscoptic and I am right back where I started. Wish I had of been told of these chances before surgery. Would have just suffered and saved the money.....useless.....

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Topical pain-killers would help

Detailed Answer:

As mentioned in the earlier answer, this is the risk of having surgery for carpal syndrome. You can apply topical pain-killers as mentioned earlier.

Although surgery is a choice, it carries its own risks. Hope you will get some relief through the steps advised before.

All the best!