Ask a Dentist   »  

What could be the white protrusion from gums where wisdom tooth removed?

Question
i had my wisdom tooth removed about 10 days back . the pain was just for a couple of days. but last. few since th last few days I have this white 'protrusion ' from the area where the tooth once existed. it almost looks like a tooth in itself but it is not . attached the image. observe the white surface just after the last tooth
Posted Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Could be bony protruberances Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome. Thanks for sharing your concern. Based upon the history posted here I can suggest you following things. 1.Please note that the tooth like projection in the socket could be a piece of bone protruding outward from the socket.This might interfere with healing process and can lead to dry socket. 2.There could be a very small piece of root left in the socket which is casing the present discomfort.The chances of which are rare. But in either of the above cases, it is mandatory to revisit your dentist and get it clinically examined.The dentist will shape the socket well so that faster healing can be achieved.Also a good clot formation takes place and dry socket can be prevented. Please note that I have not received any image that you have sent .Therefore it would be nice if you can attach and resend it. Let me know for further query. Thanks. Take care.

Follow-up: What could be the white protrusion from gums where wisdom tooth removed? 17 minutes later
pfa the images

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Image not received Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome. I have not received any attachments here. If you are facing any difficulty to upload images, you can mail them to YYYY@YYYY with subject as "Attn: Dr. Anshumala". Thanks. Take care.

Follow-up: What could be the white protrusion from gums where wisdom tooth removed? 2 hours later

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Could be a bony protruberance Detailed Answer: Hello and thanks for reply. I have observed the image sent by you.please answer me following details to help you better in this regard. 1.Have you completed your antibiotic and analgesics course given post extraction? 2.Do you feel any soreness in the socket area or any dull ache? 3.Can you please gently touch and examine the socket area for any hardness or bony feel? Awaiting your response. Thanks. Take care.